Improving your smile is very easy nowadays with multiple options available you just need to visit your dentist/orthodontist and he/she will do the dental checkup and advise you on the best available treatment according to your requirements. Cosmetic dentistry is constantly showing growth as people are moving towards it to get the better smile they desire as it can transform almost anyone’s teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry involves the addition of the dental material to the teeth or gums (bonding), removal of the tooth structure or the gums (enameloplasty), it neither adds nor removes dental materials, tooth structure, or gums (whitening), straightening of the teeth with the help of appearance (orthodontics).
Cosmetic dentistry is a professional method for oral care that focuses on improving the appearance of the teeth these procedures are elective rather than essential though some of them provide restorative benefits so let’s understand the process of how they work.
- Inlays and Onlays – This cosmetic dentistry is also recognized as indirect fillings made in a dental laboratory. This procedure is done when your tooth has a mild to moderate decaying or an insufficient tooth structure for supporting a filling but this process can be done only when there is no damage to the tooth cusps and inlays are placed directly on the surface of the tooth.However when the cusp or other significant portion is damaged then the dentist has to use an onlay to cover the entire tooth surface.
- Composite Bonding – This refers to the decayed, damaged, or discolored tooth by using the material that resembles the tooth enamel color wherein the dentist removed the decayed part of the tooth and applies the composite on the surface, and then shapes into the right shape before curing with a high-intensity light.This is even referred to as bonding where the process effectively covers the damage of the teeth as well as gives the appearance of a healthy tooth in its place.
Bonding is considered the least expensive process in cosmetic dentistry available for patients having decayed teeth, chipped or cracked teeth, or worn-out edges.
- Dental Veneers – Veneers are made from medical-grade ceramic and they are custom-made caps that give you natural teeth. They look almost realistic which can resolve multiple cosmetic problems such as crooked teeth, cracked or damaged enamel to noticeable gaps between two teeth. The dentist applies veneer to the front of each tooth with the help of a dental adhesive.
- Teeth Whitening – The most popular process amongst all in cosmetic dentistry is teeth whitening which is just performed by the dentist in a single visit. The first step will be to remove the plaque, tartar, and other debris from the surface of each tooth and give away the natural appearance. The teeth are later whitened with the help of a bleaching agent to achieve a lighter shade than the original color.Over the years our teeth are bound to face wear and tear due to food, drinks, medication, smoking, and other personal habits. Whitening the teeth and its process is easily done at the dental clinic or home. Apart from this patients can even use the toothpaste to get the same effects within a week or two. This product helps to whiten the teeth up to three shades within two to four weeks.
- Implants – Implants are helpful to replace the lost or damaged teeth where the dentist inserts the titanium screw in the jaw at the site where the tooth is missing and it serves as a support to the crown. Implants are almost not recognized when it is surrounded by natural teeth.
Once the bones and the supporting tissues are infused they permanently secure their place. Later patients need to follow oral dental hygiene regularly when the implant process is going on and even after the process is completed for cleaning the plaque and debris from the designated area.
As the name says cosmetic dentistry is all in search of the beauty of the teeth and cosmetic dentistry is considered as a form of art referring to dental health and to improve the appearance of teeth, gums, or bites but mainly focuses on dental aesthetics in the color, position, shape, size, alignment, and the overall appearance of the teeth.
The most important factor when you consider going for cosmetic dentistry is to select the dentist/orthodontist who has the practice, as well as expertise and experience in it and Dr. Jignesh Kothari is one of the recognized and reputed orthodontists in Mumbai who provides the best advice as well as treatment.